Saturday, October 26, 2013

Musical Adventures

So I've had an interesting time trying to discover some cool indie bands. It's kind of like shopping in a thrift store. Sometimes I find nothing and it's frustrating. Other times I find something truly gorgeous and unique and it's super cool. Soooo I decided I'm going to start doing some short posts on what I've found and such. I hope that's okay with you all. Though I'm pretty certain only my parents read this ;P Hi parents!

 So today I went on a Freegal shopping spree. Except not really a shopping spree. Because it's free. And I can only get three songs a week. For those of you that don't know what Freegal is, either google it or wait for me explain it. Which I will do. Now.

Freegal is a site libraries subscribe to, so then everyone with a card for that library can go on the site and download three songs a week. For free. And they get to keep them. Forever. Definitely indefinitely.

They have some big names. Adele, 1D, Miley Cyrus, Pink, etc. But they also have a massive collection of indie bands. A lot of it is pretty lame, but I've found some awesome stuff on there. So that's where I've been browsing today.

Of course some other great sites for discovering music: Noisetrade, Pandora, Grooveshark, Youtube. But today we're in Freegal :)

I started out going through the Indie Rock section. The first few bands I tried were some kind of murderous screamo. Then I saw a band called "Niceland". I thought that sounded pleasant and comfort. They turned out to be some interesting band from Denmark. I can only listen to short previews on Freegal, but they seem good so far. I looked them up on wikipedia and it came up with a band from 1982 of the same name from Iceland that only recorded three songs and broke up, without ever actually releasing any songs, lol. Someone must have been very bored if they decided it was a good idea to write an article about an 80s band that never actually did anything.

I found three more bands in my search today: See Venus,  Mandeng Eletrik,  PK14. Not quite sure if I'm totally crazy about them each yet, but possibly promising. See Venus is a kind of sugary pop sound, female singer. Mandeng Eletrik is an african electronic band. It's a strange combination but I sort of like it. PK14 is a chinese rock band. Has a bit of a unique sound.

Yups yups. That's all for now.

1 comment:

  1. Please forward all good bands and songs my way ~ me

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate any and all comments!